Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Purines, How do they affect us?

I have been doing some more reading on gout and its causes. We know that high purine foods can bring on a gout attack but are there other factors that are involved? As I've read in Gout Pal "The traditional view is, all high purine foods are foods that cause gout. However, research shows that the relationship between food and gout is more complicated... A recent study shows that only meat and fish purines are significant in gout attacks and eating dairy foods can reduce the risk..." If you are interested in lowering the purines in your diet check out the link, low purine diet.

The human body is a complicated machine and one combination of foods may work for some people, and other people, that same combination may cause problems. There are some factors that are constant two of those constants are high purine foods increase the risk for gout attacks as well as being over weight. The latter is my challenge, I'm significantly over weight and this is a problem for gout as well as may other health problems.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a 2nd blog on weight loss and even go as far as to track my own weight loss or gain as the case may be. I would include my diet and exercise schedule. I think this may help me be more accountable to keep my activities consistent.

Well I'll sign off for now.

1 comment:

Chris and Weight Issues said...

I read the same thing. It so happens that foods causing gout are also the ones causing weight gain. That's why people tend to think that being overweight causes gout.

And we're on the same boat by the way: dealing with both gout and weight!