Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Gout and the wonder drug Colchicine

Greetings

The last several times that I've had gout it was serious enough that I had to resort to pharmaceuticals (ie) Colchicine. Let me tell you how this occurred.
Back at the end of July I got the flu and it progressed into pneumonia. The doctor prescribed antibiotics, shortly after I started taking the antibiotics I got one of the worst cases of gout that I have ever had. I got it in both knee's, my right ankle, and my right toes. It even was in the left ankle but not too seriously.
After several day of suffering and not being able to get out of my easy chair, (not even to go to the bathroom) my leg was propped up with a pillow under my knee and ankle. On a Sunday I finally called a doctor, she was able to prescribe Colchicine. I started by taking two tablets in the morning and two tablets that evening, then one a day after that. After about 24 hours the pain and swelling started to go away. I still took my cherry juice extract, I believe that the cherries have prevented me from getting gout on several occasions. But when the gout is severe then I need to use Colchicine.
Colchicine has some very serious side effects and should be avoided or at least used with extreme caution in those who have;

  • Kidney disease.
  • Liver disease.
  • Inflammatory Bowl disease.
  • A low white blood cell count.

Again WebMd has a great deal of information on Colchicine as well as other medications used for gout.

No comments: